PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Data Engineer II is responsible for developing and maintaining state of the art data pipelines to make data accessible to PA and external partners. As a Data Engineer II you will be expected to drive the data strategy and implement best practices for data collection, data pipelines, usage and infrastructure. He/she will work closely with multiple stakeholders to understand data requirements and build appropriate solutions that meet or exceed those needs.
REPORTS TO: Reports directly to Analytics Management.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB: (This list may not include all of the duties that may be assigned.)
1. Helps develop and manage an enterprise-scale Data Warehouse/Lake. Implementing best practices for data collection, data pipelines, usage and infrastructure.
2. Builds scalable and reliable data pipelines producing high quality data, reconcile data issues and alerts finding opportunities to innovate and drive improvements
3. Execute new data engineering work tracks for data science/analytics from inception and prototyping to fully developed solutions.
4. Builds/maintains effective visual presentations and analytical dashboards using PowerBI and other tools to present analytical findings
5. Builds and maintains Scalable Multidimensional Databases (OLAP)
6. Handling large volumes of data in a variety of formats for preparation of data insights/data ingestion.
7. Produces dynamic, data-driven solutions to support strategic business goals.
8. Develops data models/data architecture ensuring consistency in naming conventions, default values, semantics, while ensuring quality of the data
9. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Adhere to all organizational information security policies and protect all sensitive information including but not limited to ePHI and PHI in accordance with organizational policy, Federal, State, and local regulations.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
* Indoor Work
* Operating Computer
* Reach Outward
* Manual Dexterity
Other Physical Requirements
* Sense of Sound
* Sense of Touch
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Information Technology or related field required. Graduate degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum 3 years of building and maintaining ETL pipelines experience required. Health Insurance industry experience a plus but not necessary. Big data experience a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
* Knowledge of various ETL techniques and frameworks
* Advanced level experience with ETL tools, preferably SSIS. Knowledge of modern data warehouse technology such as Airflow, Kafka, Spark a plus.
* Advanced Level experience with Microsoft SQL Server
* Expert in writing efficient SQL and MDX queries.
* Experience in database modeling and design.
* Experience using visualization tools such as PowerBI, Tableau, etc.
* Programming skills (i.e. Python, C#, R, Java)
* May occasionally work a non-standard shift including nights and/or weekends and/or have on-call responsibilities.
* Although some healthcare experience is ideal, a willingness and ability to learn these concepts quickly will suffice. Must be detail-oriented and have a strong desire to produce accurate metrics and reports with minimal supervision.