FLSA STATUS: Exempt
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Director of Real Estate is responsible for strategic/master planning for all facility-related projects, as well as oversight of equipment for all locations. The incumbent creates plans, monitors costs, and ensures satisfactory progress for projects including the construction of new locations, renovations, expansions and major equipment installations.
REPORTS TO: Reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Oversee facilities maintenance staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB: (This list may not include all of the duties that may be assigned.)
- Develops integrated and long-range strategy for facilities planning and construction, inclusive of all tool, systems, and processes to create efficient processes.
- Assist acquisition team in identifying new development opportunities and assist with preliminary market review and financial assumptions.
- Spearhead design process and review plans to confirm that project objectives, vision and budget are being met.
- Direct daily department operations to achieve quality improvement, fiscal, productivity and patient satisfaction goals.
- Ensure continuous safety and efficient and economical operation of the organization’s equipment, machines, plant, and buildings.
- Primary facility representative with vendors and contractors in the development of local construction and renovations proposals and manages the day to day activities of these construction, renovation and utility projects.
- Coordinate ongoing plan, budget, and schedule updates with company executives or general contractor throughout all phases of the project.
- Negotiate with and interact and manage third-party development consultants and vendors including architects, legal, engineers and construction team.
- Ensure strong internal risk controls exist and are maintained through each project.
- Issue vendor contracts, purchase orders and status reports, and review and approve invoices.
- Maintain accurate and consistent files and documentations.
- Conduct routine construction progress inspections with a focus on quality control.
- Involved in the organizations quality improvement program relative to the Environment of Care (EOC).
- Manage physical space control, safety and EOC of satellite buildings and departments, relocation of equipment and departments, landscaping, property development and the emergency preparedness program.
- Serve as leader in planning, directing and managing the departments and staff members to assure quality on a 24-hour basis.
- Ensure all AAAHC standards are met complying with corporate policy and procedures, for managing supplies and equipment in the facility, for promoting teamwork with clinicians, for promoting internal and external customer satisfaction and for appropriate resource and utility management.
- Initiates and monitors appropriate procedures to quickly respond to mechanical, electrical and electronic failures to prevent or minimize inconvenience and maintain life support systems.
- Coordinates construction projects, acting as liaison between Administration and contractors in minor projects, and as a member of the project team in major projects. Evaluates bid proposals to obtain the highest quality for the least amount of money; ensures that the project is built according to approved specifications; reviews and approves for payment all bills submitted by contractors and/or vendors.
- Develops, coordinates and administers preventive maintenance program to ensure proper functional operation of all mechanical, electrical and electronic equipment and systems in compliance with all standards and codes. Develops, communicates and interprets department policies and procedures to ensure staff adherence/understanding and consistent application.
- Operates a customer responsive department at all times by clearly communicating project priorities and time frames to the requesting customer departments and ensuring that the work order system is accurate, effective and timely in meeting departmental requests.
- Promotes a customer oriented atmosphere with maintenance staff and communicates in writing, specific customer service expectations. Informally evaluates staff on customer service expectations during monthly department meetings and formally on annual performance evaluation.
- Plans, develops and submits for approval annual business, and budgetary plans ensuring established goals and objectives are achieved within budgetary guidelines.
- Develops and maintains trained and motivated staff through effective utilization of all available personnel options including, but not limited to: interview and selection of applicants, performance evaluations, recommendations for changes to salary, status with appropriate skill level required to ensure uninterrupted work flow to maintain responsiveness to departmental requests for service, justification and disciplinary action up to and including discharge.
- Is responsible for company security.
- Recommends space and other resources needed by the department/service.
- Develops all department/services policies and procedures in collaboration with associated department/services, and obtain s approval by the organizations administration and clinical staff, as appropriate.
- Attend regular job meetings with on-site construction staff and trade subcontractors as required.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Working in a professional office environment. The position involves high & frequent call volumes. Environment requires ability to multi-task, communicate clearly & concise, data entry for extended period of times. Will require sitting, standing and walking for long periods of time.
Adhere to all organizational information security policies and protect all sensitive information including but not limited to ePHI and PHI in accordance with organizational policy, Federal, State, and local regulations.
- Must be familiar with applicable codes, state requirements and regulations relating to health care facilities.
- Must be knowledgeable of equipment specifications, inspection procedures, and applicable codes.
- Ability to manage a team.
- Must be diligent and organized with the ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects.
Experience: A minimum of 3-5 years previous supervisory experience in healthcare.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree: engineering, architecture, real estate or construction management degree or related field.
Licensure/Certification: Certified Healthcare Engineer (CHE) or Certified Healthcare Facilities Manager (CHFM) desired.
*Upon hire, and for the duration of the employment period driver’s license must be active and valid.*
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Excellent oral and written communication skills; Demonstrates commitment to maintain professionalism in the face of deadlines and ability to clearly communicate progress updates to the team; Effective communication, computer, presentation skills; Knowledge in project tracking software; Strong analytical, problem solving and decision making skills; and Strong business management acumen.