Clinical Externships - San Antonio
- San Antonio, TX
- Temporary - Days
- Req #: 10494
- Posted: January 4, 2023
- Reports to the Clinic Practice Manager daily – assist with tracking hours
- Relay any pertinent information to the Practice Manager while doing clinical hours
- Follow School and Company guidelines, provided to you by career counselor and Practice Manager
WHAT YOUR DAY WILL LOOK LIKE:
• Maintain high quality patient experience, welcome patients; ensure a safe patient environment, office and exam room cleanliness and appropriate supplies and equipment for patient care in adherence to infection control policy and procedures.
• Perform and document patient’s intake vitals to include but limited to height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration rate; repeat and notify clinician of any abnormal findings
• Interview patient based on age appropriateness and/or specialty needs with accurate documentation and update medical records to include chief complaint, current medications with drug name, dosing, route, medication and food allergies with reaction and severity, vaccine, medical, surgical, family, social histories, any barriers to care and home status.
• Obtain necessary medical records, consultation notes, hospital inpatient and/or ED discharge records, diagnostic and laboratory results for clinician review and treatment follow-up as needed.
• Prepare patient for clinician examination, ensure clinician orders performed and accurately documented. Perform with clinician supervision and assist clinicians in necessary age-appropriate vision, hearing screenings, electrocardiograms with repeat as needed, suture removal, ear lavage, urine cauterization, ear-piercing, wound care, specialty procedures and emergency response with proper clinician supervision.
• Perform and document vaccine and medication reconciliation with patient and state registry; provide written vaccine information statements, education of patients/parents prior to vaccine and medication administration.
• Ensure and adhere to vaccine cold change management with proper handling, storage, preparation, and administration to include reporting vaccine excursion.
• Perform proper patient identifiers, buddy process validation as per policies, and perform proper vaccine and medication administration to include intramuscular, intradermal, subcutaneous injections with post observation.
• Complete patient follow up and tasks assigned to meet patient needs to include but not limited to answering phones, handling correspondence, prescription refill request providing clinician with necessary information as needed, obtaining medication pre-authorization, assisting with patient referrals, patient form completion to include DME, therapy, school clearance, sports and medication forms, arrange home, hospital care, procedures and follow-up appointments, etc.
• Perform phlebotomy, lab sample collection and proper processing with documentation and report to clinician as outlined per policy.
• Medical assistants are essential members of patient-centered medical home team and will perform and meet best practice standards, quality and key performance indicators set forth by the organization
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or equivalent required.
*Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is required unless approved for a personal, medical, or religious exemption.