- Performance of all approved laboratory procedures and testing.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- This list may not include all of the duties that may be assigned.
- Performs laboratory procedures in Chemistry, Hematology, Urinalysis, Serology, Microbiology and Spirometry.
- Performs phlebotomy: including venipuncture, finger sticks and heel sticks.
- Properly prepares specimens for reference lab send outs; including resulting and billing information.
- Reviews and signs the Laboratory Policy & Procedure Manual annually.
- Understands and follows proper laboratory testing techniques per manufacture guidelines, for each test listed in the Pediatric Associates Laboratory Manual.
- Reports laboratory results correctly, accurately and in a timely manner to a healthcare provider; alerting the healthcare provider for any critical or out of range values. Documenting critical reports correctly.
- Properly works in the LIS (laboratory information system). Follows procedures for order acknowledgement, resulting and processing orders; including follow up on unresolved tests.
- Keeps the laboratory and work area clean and in compliant with Pediatric Associates and OSHA safety standards; using universal precaution.
- Performs and documents daily/weekly/monthly quality control and instrument maintenance.
- Performs proficiency surveys; testing, documentation and review of results.
- Assists the Laboratory Manager and Laboratory Supervisor with training of co-workers in lab procedures.
- Communicates professionally and accurately to providers and managers.
- Provides good customer service in the laboratory to our patients and parents. Identifies themselves to patients and parents.
- Maintains inventory of lab supplies; reorders and stocks supplies.
- PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
Prefer license: Medical Assistant
Prefer license: State of FL Clinical Laboratory Technician
Prefer license: phlebotomist.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of laboratory quality control requirements. Knowledge of universal precaution procedures in medical safety practices. Skilled in phlebotomy. Ability to communicate with physician staff to efficiently order testing and notify abnormal results. Ability to react calmly to stressful situations. Ability to organize tasks. Knowledge of basic medical terminology. Ability to assess emergency situations and act accordingly. Maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and the public. Active CPR certification required.
- One year experience in a Medical Office setting including phlebotomy. Prefer experienced in laboratory procedures and EHR.
Adhere to all organizational information security policies and protect all sensitive information including but not limited to ePHI and PHI in accordance with organizational policy, Federal, State, and local regulations.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2869