Lead Laboratory Technician
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Oversees and monitors laboratory test analysis and specimen integrity to ensure proper patient care for various lab location sites. Ensures all required policies and procedures of the laboratory are followed for specimen collection, test performance and result entry. Supervise, train and maintain competency of lab staff; maintenance of laboratory instruments. Keeps lab following standards for CLIA licensing and inspections. Has designated lab locations they are responsible to oversee.
REPORTS TO: Reports to Lab Manager
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILTIES: The leads will supervise, train and perform reviews for lab technicians.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB: (This list may not include all of the duties that may be assigned.)
1. Provides training for all lab new hires (phlebotomy training). Completes lab training check off sheets and training packet. Provides weekly progress reports including 60 and 90 day evaluations. Works in collaboration with Practice Manager by communicating and reporting on employee training progress.
2. Communicates performance and escalates employee deficiencies and areas of concern.
3. Ensure lab staff are performing daily standard quality control (QC) testing. Reviews daily, weekly and monthly QC. Performs and completes annual calibration of lab instruments. Responsible for all maintenance (daily, weekly, 6 month, annual) and calibration of the instruments. Ensure all equipment is in good working condition.
4. Monitors laboratory test analysis and specimen integrity to ensure proper patient care is provided and lab policies are followed. Monitors the LIS worklist daily, including reference lab orders.
5. Assess lab staff proficiency test results. Provides support in reference to coaching employees, and corrects any equipment error for proficiency scores of less than 100%.
6. Actively support the lab operations in medical offices and covers lab shifts when needed
Adhere to all organizational information security policies and protect all sensitive information including but not limited to ePHI and PHI in accordance with organizational policy, Federal, State, and local regulations.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
* Indoor work
* Operating computer
* Exposure to hazards
* Reach outward
* Manual Dexterity
* Reach above shoulder
* Lift/Carry 10 lbs. or less
* Push/Pull 12 lbs. or less
* 100% of local travel, less than 5% of out of state travel
* Squat or kneel
Other Physical Requirements
* Sense of sound
* Sense of smell
* Sense of touch
* Ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE)
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or equivalent required. Graduation from accredited Medical Assistant / LPN Program, highly desirable.
LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION: BLS CPR required. Preferred license: Medical Assistant, State of FL Clinical Laboratory Technician, and Phlebotomy.
*Upon hire, and for the duration of the employment period driver’s license must be active and valid.*
EXPERIENCE: Minimum 3 years of experience with lab in healthcare setting required. Minimum 2 years as a Pediatric Associates Lab Technician strongly preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
* Knowledge of laboratory quality control requirements
* Ability to supervise, train, delegate and mentor staff
* Knowledge of basic medical terminology
* Knowledge of universal precaution procedures in medical safety practices
* Ability to communicate and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and the public
* Ability to assess emergency situations and act accordingly
* Maintain effective relationships with patients, employees and the public.