Medical Assistant Float Pool
- Float to multiple locations within a loop of offices based on the need of the practice. As medical assistant, performs clinical care essential to the assessment, promotion, maintenance and restoration of patient’s health and wellness.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- This list may not include all of the duties that may be assigned.
- Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- Clean and sterilize instruments and dispose of contaminated supplies.
- Measure and record patients' vital signs, such as height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration.
- Check to make sure that patient history is complete i.e.(immunization records, allergy to medications, birth weights etc...).
- Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- Obtain brief summary of patient complaint. Document any immunizations needed. Read previous visits to obtain follow-up plan as needed.
- Assist doctors in any necessary procedures such as giving injections or removing sutures.
- Authorize drug refills and provide prescription information to pharmacies.
- Perform sensory screening as needed.
- Fill out any necessary paper work for patient’s i.e. (school forms, medication forms).
- Call hospitals to obtain any necessary results i.e. (lab and x-ray results).
- Complete any necessary referrals and referral cover sheets for doctor approval. Call insurance companies to obtain necessary authorization for certain procedures.
- Set up any home therapies for patient use.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets and physicians' instructions to patients
- Keeping a clean, safe and organized work environment for patients and staff.
- Attending any necessary meetings to be up to date on changes in protocol and procedures.
- Working as a team with nursing and front office staff for optimal patient care.
- Assisting the doctor in emergency situations.
- Keeping expiration dates current on all sample medications and formulas.
- Keeping medications and supplies on the crash cart current.
- Administering immunizations and medicine injections.
- Follow any OSHA and Safety requirements for rooms and documentation.
- Floating to multiple offices within a loop as designated by the Loop Staffing Coordinator.
- Other various duties as assigned, including cross training in other functional areas.
- PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Graduation from an accredited Medical Assistant Program. Medical Doctors must have a Bachelor of Science degree in General Medicine from a regionally accredited university or equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to perform necessary vital signs for pediatrics and obtain patient histories. Knowledge of basic medical terminology, and immunization requirements for children. Ability to assess emergency situations and act accordingly. Maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and the public. Active CPR certification required.
- Prefer one year work experience in a medical office setting. Knowledge of computer desired.
Adhere to all organizational information security policies and protect all sensitive information including but not limited to ePHI and PHI in accordance with organizational policy, Federal, State, and local regulations.