This position floats between our Aventura and Causeway Office
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Performing clinical care essential to the assessment, promotion, maintenance and restoration of patient’s health and wellness.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB: (This list may not include all of the duties that may be assigned.)
- Manage patient care through an electronic or paper environment.
- Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- Clean and sterilize instruments and dispose of contaminated supplies.
- Measure and record patients' vital signs, such as height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration.
- Performs and/or prepares patients for appropriate testing as part of cardiology patient workup (EKG, Holter monitors placement, ECHO preps, Event monitor placement).
- Check to make sure that patient history is complete (i.e. immunization records, allergy to medications, health record updates, etc.).
- Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- Obtain brief summary of patient complaint. Document any immunizations needed. Read previous visits to obtain follow-up plan as needed.
- Assist doctors in any necessary procedures.
- Authorize drug refills and provide prescription information to pharmacies.
- Fill out any necessary paper work for patient’s i.e. (school forms, medication forms ).
- Call hospitals to obtain any necessary results i.e. (lab and x-ray results).
- Complete any necessary referrals and referral cover sheets for doctor approval.
- Call insurance companies to obtain necessary authorization for certain procedures.
- Set up any home therapies for patient use.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets and physicians' instructions to patients
- Keeping a clean, safe and organized work environment for patients and staff.
- Attending any necessary meetings to be up to date on changes in protocol and procedures.
- Working as a team with nursing and front office staff for optimal patient care.
- Assisting the doctor in emergency situations.
- Keeping expiration dates current on all sample medications and formulas.
- Having the knowledge and awareness of medications and supplies on crash cart.
- Administering medications including injectables.
- Follow any OSHA and Safety requirements for rooms and documentation.
- Other various duties as assigned, including cross training in other functional areas.
- Complete all PA University mandatory courses by designated deadlines.
- Perform spirometry testing, peak flow and exhaled nitric oxide.
- Obtain brief summary of patient complaint. Complete patient history intake for new patient allergy (NPA). Reviews previous visits to obtain follow-up plan as needed.
- Able to set up different allergy skin test panels and perform test on patients as well as resulting skin test on form and patient electronic chart.
- Perform skin cultures, administer ordered injections, medications and treatments, (ie: Albuterol HFA, DuoNeb Solutions, oral medications Flu Shots, Xolair and allergy/immunotherapy injections. Assist doctors in any necessary procedures such as giving injections or allergy testing.
- Assures patient stays for required observation time after injection(s). Observes, records and reports patients’ vitals and reactions to treatments.
- Reacts appropriately in patient reaction situations: informs physician and/ or other clinical staff as necessary to migrate adverse reactions.
- Learn and perform immunotherapy vial mixing procedures as well as creating individual labeling for newly made allergy shot vials.
- Process drug refills requests and provide prescription information to pharmacies. Completing prior authorizations for rejected medications when needed.
- Review and empty phone bins for department on a daily basis.
- Fill out any necessary paper work for patient’s i.e. (school forms, medication forms).
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, and physician instructions to patients, such as demonstration of proper medication technique of asthma medications, peak flows, asthma or allergy action plan, nasal washes, wet wrap therapy etc.
- Explain food/drug challenge process to parent. Set up dosages per clinician orders to be ingested and document for completion of challenges with patient.
- Travels between specialty locations to support staffing needs.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Working in a professional medical office environment. The position involves high & frequent call volumes. Environment requires ability to multi-task, communicate clearly & concise, data entry for extended period of times. May require sitting or standing for long periods, including stooping, bending stretching for files and supplies. Requires, occasional lifting of files and boxes weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, type at 35 wpm, operate calculator, copier, and such other office equipment as necessary
Adhere to all organizational information security policies and protect all sensitive information including but not limited to ePHI and PHI in accordance with organizational policy, Federal, State, and local regulations.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent. Medical foreign doctors must have a Bachelor of Science degree in General Medicine from a regionally accredited university or equivalent.
Licensure/Certification:MA Diploma or Certification Required
*Upon hire, and for the duration of the employment period driver’s license must be active and valid.*
Experience: Prefer one year work experience in a cardiology medical office setting. High level of computer literacy and electronic medical records experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:Ability to perform necessary vital signs for pediatrics and obtain patient histories. Knowledge of basic medical terminology, and immunization requirements for children. Ability to assess emergency situations and act accordingly. Maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and the public. Knowledge of medical safety practices and standard s. Ability to plan, prioritize, organize workflow. Ability to communicate clearly. Skill in maintaining department quality assurance. Skill in identifying problems and researching and recommending resolutions. Skill in preparing records, writing reports and responding to correspondence. Active CPR certification required.