PRIMARY FUNCTION: Performing Medical Records duties essential to the assessment, maintenance, and restoration of patient’s confidential information.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
(This list may not include all of the duties that may be assigned.)
1. Maintains medical records operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes.
2. Knowledge of Electronic Medical Records regulations and disclosure of protected health information (PHI).
3. Prepare copies of records when presented with properly completed medical release forms.
4. In coordination with established policies makes sure that all appropriate medical records release fees are collected.
5. Performs a variety of audits and evaluations of patient information via EMR management to ensure accuracy and completeness.
6. Provide documentation for use in legal actions and responds to subpoenas.
7. Provide excellent customer service to all patients/parents/guardians.
8. Assist with call overflow from clinics as needed.
9. Provide assistance in front offices as needed.
10. Regularly communicates with managers, health care team members and other health care professionals to obtain additional information regarding medical record requests.
11. Clerk assembles patients’ health information ensuring all release of medical records is documented properly, properly identified, prior authorizations are obtained.
12. Ensure compliance with federal and state laws as well as all regulations. Communication with attorneys or their agents as needed.
13. Serves as a liaison on health information issues such as confidentiality, release of information, security, storage and retention.
14. Some travel is required to appear in court with a paper version or CD of the medical record when requested.
15. Must be detail oriented, organized and maintaining patient confidentiality as all times.
16. This job requires someone who can work across department lines with professionalism.
17. Some work for the Risk Manager may be required as requested.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Working in a business office environment. Involves telephone contact interaction with managers, providers or attorneys. May require sitting for long periods. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, type at 35 wpm, operate calculator, copier, and such other office equipment as necessary. Must be able to communicate clearly both written and verbally. It is necessary to view and type on computer screens for long periods and to work in a high volume environment.
Adhere to all organizational information security policies and protect all sensitive information including but not limited to ePHI and PHI in accordance with organizational policy, Federal, State, and local regulations.
Education: Health Information Management (HIM) Certificate or Medical Records experience, with in-depth knowledge of the processes, maintenance and review of medical records.
Experience: Prefer one to three years work experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Strong computer skills is a must, word, excel and willingness to learn new software.